Stanford Valley Country Lodge: Waterblom
Surrounded by treed hills and lush meadows where horses graze and springbokkies roam, this idyllic farm in the Klein River Valley spans 480 hectares of unadulterated natural beauty, and is home to a small collection of white-washed farm cottages. Meandering mountain paths, fynbos-dotted plains, horse paddocks and a farm dam are just some of the features that make it the perfect country escape for nature-loving couples, friends and families.
Overlooking a sea of waterlilies, with gorgeous views over meadows, fynbos-covered hills and mountains, the aptly named Waterblom cottage is built right on the edge of a dam, so the soundtrack to your stay will be a varied symphony of dawn birdsong, dusk frog-croaking and the occasional whinnying of horses grazing nearby.
A classic whitewashed cottage with wooden ceilings and stone and timber detailing, the stylish interior has touches of Midcentury Modern design in the furnishings and lighting, and plenty of artworks on the walls. Everything revolves around the glorious deck, where you can read and siesta in peace, cook meals over the coals, and enjoy sundowners in the water’s-edge hot tub. A path leads off the deck to a tree-shaded, garden-bower dining area.
Waterblom is set apart from the other cottages, so it’s a little more private, but all of the Lodge’s lovely facilities are still close by – and there’s a host on call to bring you drinks, organise picnics and meals at the Manor House Restaurant or treatments at the on-site spa, and to help with whatever else you need. It’s just the spot to relax and recharge, with wonderful fresh-air activities – from serene swims and gentle strolls to a network of biking trails exclusively for guests.
Waterblom Cottage sleeps four in two bedrooms.
- Master bedroom with kingsize bed; ensuite bathroom with freestanding bath overlooking the deck and dam
- Second bedroom; ensuite bathroom with shower
- Fully equipped kitchen, with gas stove, microwave and dishwasher
- Open-plan living room with wraparound couch and wood-burning stove
- Dining table and chairs
- Serviced daily
- Welcome bottle of bubbly
- Covered deck with built-in braai overlooking the dam
- Wood-burning hot tub with Fieldbar mini fridge
- Outdoor couch, chairs and dining table
- Equipped for self-catering
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served at the acclaimed on-site Manor House Restaurant (rated in Gourmet Guide’s 2019 Top 75 restaurants in SA) at an additional cost
THINGS TO DO
On the property
- Acclaimed country restaurant
- Art gallery
- Signature spa treatments
- Picnics (catered baskets)
- Swimming in the pool or dam
- A mountain-biking trail network that includes singletrack builds through endemic fynbos
- Hiking and trail running through pristine mountain fynbos
In the area
- Explore the village of Stanford, its shops and weekly farmers market
- River cruises on the Klein River
- Wine farms
- Visit Hermanus or Gansbaai
- Hot Tub
- Indoor Fireplace
- Coffee Machine
- Fully Equipped Kitchen
- Secure Parking
- Backup Power