Opstal Stay: Carl Everson
Tucked between the Slanghoek and Badsberg Mountains, surrounded by endless nature, Opstal Estate is a tranquil place, where a cluster of modern mountain cabins provide cosy, stylish nests for some real R&R, no matter what time of year you visit.
Woven into the fabric and history of the Slanghoek Valley, this seventh-generation property (dating back to 1847) offers an idyllic stayover that combines magnificent scenery and true country-style hospitality.
The five modern, self-catering cottages are perfectly (and privately) positioned to maximise the valley and mountain views, with large picture windows and sliding doors, and unspoilt nature just footsteps away.
Inside, the contemporary open-plan architecture and quality furnishings provide a comfortable home-from-home (and it’s good to know the water in the taps comes fresh from a mountain stream). An outdoor deck with a luxurious Kol-Kol hot tub sets the scene for an unforgettable and relaxing stay.
Opstal is a working wine farm, producing three ranges (Sixpence, Estate and Heritage) – find your favourite by booking a tasting, then take a few bottles back to your cottage to enjoy on your deck. Chef PJ Lombard offers a seasonal menu of country-comfort classics at the restaurant, so guests can treat themselves to breakfast (from 9am to 11am) or lunch, which includes pizzas and platters. Sunday lunch is a local highlight.
Carl Everson cabin sleeps four in two bedrooms.
- Two bedrooms (one with king-size bed, one with two single beds or a king)
- Camping cot can be arranged for toddlers
- Ensuite bathrooms with shower and bath
- Fully equipped kitchen with gas hob, microwave oven and fridge-freezer
- Open-plan living and dining area with a slow-combustion fireplace
- Sheltered outdoor deck with a braai
- Wood-burning hot tub (plunge pool in summer)
- Complimentary firewood bundle
- Opstal Eat is open for breakfast and lunch.
- Order the Opstal Vars (fresh box) of seasonal goodies – items such as honey, mushrooms, free-range eggs, jams and sauces, olive oil, herbs and coffee.
THINGS TO DO
On the property
- Explore the farm on foot or by mountain bike
- Book an adventure on the trekkertrein (“tractor train”), which winds its way through the vineyards with a stop for a picnic on the farm.
- Book a wine tasting, or a meal at the restaurant
In the area
- Explore the Breedekloof, which has more than a dozen wine estates, as well as a distillery, farm stalls, restaurants and more in Rawsonville, the area’s central hub.
- Mountain-biking, hiking and trail running
- Hot Tub
- Indoor Fireplace
- Fire Pit
- Dedicated Work Space
- Fully Equipped Kitchen
- Secure Parking
- Backup Power
- Baby Cot