Klein-Hangklip Eco Cabin
Above the blink-and-you’ll-miss-it seaside hamlet of Rooi-Els that hugs a curve of the scenic coastline along Clarence Drive (the magnificent road that links Gordon’s Bay to Kleinmond), you’ll find Klein-Hangklip. Its setting is the kind that makes you want to abandon your road trip and stay for a few days.
One of the Overberg’s hidden gems, a stay in Rooi-Els is an uncrowded, unrushed immersion in the protected nature of the Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve – home to Cape clawless otters, baboons, small antelope and myriad birds. The town has no streetlights, only a couple of eateries and a village shop – the perfect escape from the city in just an hour’s drive.
You may not spot this designer cabin amid the fynbos on the slopes of the mountain that gives it its name. The exterior is painted black, and blends in beautifully. From the inside, a similar dark palette perfectly frames mesmerising views through the stacked glass doors: the greens, greys, browns and oranges of the landscape, and dazzling blue sea and sky (all the way across False Bay to Cape Town).
The cabin’s decor is cosily modern, in muted colours and natural textures, with cane, wicker and wood in abundance, and a super-stylish black kitchen. Needless to say, the sunsets here are magnificent, and can be enjoyed from large, net hammocks floating off the edge of the deck, from the hot tub or fireside boma.
- 2 bedrooms (one queen bed, two single beds)
- 1 bathroom (with bath and shower), plus extra toilet
- Fully equipped kitchen with gas stove
- Open-plan living and dining area with fireplace
- Semi-covered furnished deck with giant hammocks
- Wood-burning hot tub
- Separate braai boma (fires not permitted during summer due to high fire risk)
THINGS TO DO
On the property
- Soak in the hot tub
- Relax in the giant hammock
In the area
- Swimming at Rooi-Els beach
- Exploring rock pools
- Hiking trails nearby (Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve)
- Bird and wildlife spotting
- Whale watching (seasonal)
- Artisanal shops, eateries and beach at neighbouring Pringle Bay
- Harold Porter Botanical Garden nearby
- Stony Point penguin colony nearby
- Hot Tub
- Coffee Machine
- Fully Equipped Kitchen
- Secure Parking
- Backup Power